Aloe Vera for Vitiligo: can Aloe Vera really Cure Vitiligo?
Ever since the dawn of time, Aloe Vera is known for its medicinal benefits and its soothing effect on the human skin. The Aloe Vera gel is obtained from the succulent Aloe. First, the succulent leaves are cut to reveal the hydrating pulp (aloe vera gel) inside them. The natural gel is transparent and has a semi-solid texture.
Use of Aloe Vera for Vitiligo Treatment:
Along with the plethora of health benefits, aloe vera possesses, as aforementioned. Lately, it has come into the limelight for being able to cure a certain skin condition. In recent research papers, breakthrough discoveries related to the use of aloe vera for vitiligo treatment have been documented. Vitiligo is a skin condition that arises due to de-pigmentation. According to scientists, aloe vera may cure vitiligo.
Use for Aloe Vera for medicinal purposes:
Aloe Vera has been researched upon for thousands of years. Its health benefits have widely been recorded across various cultures throughout the years. In addition, the benefits of aloe vera on human skin have been studied by scientists and researchers alike.
Aloe Vera continues to amaze its users, blessing them with its numerous benefits. Some of the medicinal purposes of aloe vera are as follows:
• Anti-Bacterial Properties
• Prevent the Ageing of Skin
Aloe Vera and Vitiligo: The scientific connection:
Due to a few properties that the aloe vera pulp possesses, scientists claim that Aloe Vera and Vitiligo relation can be explained.
1.Aloe Vera has antibacterial and antioxidant properties which help repair the skin and restore its color.
2.Aloe Vera has vitamins and minerals which help to generate pigments of the skin. This will help the skin regain its natural color once again.
How does Aloe Vera for Vitiligo Treatment work?
The only natural remedy considered is Aloe Vera for vitiligo treatment. What essentially happens when you apply Aloe Vera to depigmented or vitiligo affected skin is that:
1.The goodness of aloe vera seeps into your skin.
2.The antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals start working together.
3.Signals are passed to your skin cells to start re-pigmenting again.
4.After repeated usage, the skin cells start to restore themselves.
5.Using aloe vera continually will help the skin to regain its color to a great extent.
6.This helps to restore the melanin in the skin cells.
How to use Aloe Vera for Vitiligo?
The most important step to using aloe vera for vitiligo is choosing the correct method for aloe vera consumption. Aloe Vera can be used in primarily two ways:
1.Taking in the Aloe Vera orally: Consuming aloe vera into the stomach is a good option if you want direct results.
2.Applying Aloe Vera to the skin: Some beauty and healthcare brands provide an assortment of aloe vera gels that you can buy. If you want to, fresh aloe vera leaves are available for purchase in your local supermarket. You can buy your aloe vera gel from either source for your use at your convenience.
Patanjali Aloe Vera Gel:
An affordable option in India is the availability of Patanjali Aloe Vera gel which can be used for medicinal and cosmetic purposes. They have two flavors of gel each for different purposes:
• Patanjali Aloe Vera Gel (Green Coloured): This gel is multipurpose and suitable for beauty and health uses. It does not have any additional flavoring or fragrance. This makes it most suitable for a wide range of uses. If you want to use Patanjali Aloe Vera for vitiligo, this green gel is the one to go for!
• Patanjali Soundarya Aloe Vera Gel (Yellow Coloured): This gel is infused with Kesar(saffron). The fragrance makes it appealing to users. It is mostly used for cosmetic purposes.
Precautions while using Aloe Vera:
While using aloe vera for vitiligo treatment, some important points need to be kept in mind:
1.Although aloe vera isn’t essentially harmful, users need to purchase safe and pure, uncontaminated aloe vera if they want to eat it.
2.Aloe Vera can be used daily in the external form.
3.Before intaking any aloe vera through the mouth, it is important to consult a doctor and seek a recommendation. Prevention is better than cure if any allergies crop up.
4.Ensure the aloe vera you apply to your skin is dermatologically tested if purchased through a beauty brand.
5.At any point, if you feel that the aloe vera causes you discomfort after taking it orally or applying it to the skin, consult a doctor.
6.Make sure you don’t use the product in your eye. If accidentally done, rinse with cool water and consult your ophthalmologist if need be.
Home remedies using Aloe Vera for Vitiligo:
Aloe Vera is one of the natural remedies for treating vitiligo. These home remedies do not substitute for professional medical help. However, if you need something to supplement the treatment process or rejuvenate and maintain your skin, these home remedies are worth looking into. Before that, let’s take a look at other natural ingredients that cure vitiligo and can be used with aloe vera:
• Vitamin C (Lemon Juice/Citric Acid)
Aloe Vera Home Remedies:
1. (Aloe Vera + Turmeric + Rose Water + Honey): Mix all of these ingredients evenly in a bowl. Aloe Vera and turmeric both have antioxidant properties which help to restore melanin and treat the skin. Apply this mixture evenly on the skin.
2. (Aloe Vera + Papaya Pulp): Crush the papaya with a spoon and mix it well with the aloe vera. Apply on the skin which needs treatment. You can also consume papaya and aloe vera juice for better results.
3. (Aloe Vera + Basil Leaves): Crush the basil leaves in a mixer blender and mix it with the aloe vera gel. The anti-aging properties of the basil and the antioxidants of aloe vera will help combat vitiligo. You can also add lemon juice to the mix. Apply the paste evenly on the skin. You can also drink aloe vera, basil, and lemon juice with a little bit of honey if you need the sweetness.
4. (Aloe Vera + Walnuts): You can always consume walnuts directly. However, an alternative way would be to use walnuts and aloe vera externally on the skin. Pound the walnuts into powder form and mix it with aloe vera gel. Mix well so that it forms a thick paste. Apply this paste on the skin and spread evenly. You can also add rose water.
5. (Aloe Vera + Lemon Juice): Squeeze lemon juice from fresh yellow lemons and mix them with the aloe vera gel in the bowl. Both these ingredients are rich in antioxidants and help cure vitiligo. Spread evenly on the skin. You can also use other fruits containing vitamin C as a substitute for lemons.
Where to apply the aloe vera gel externally?
Vitiligo is a broad term to describe a diversity of skin depigmentation blemishes. Here are some areas of your skin that you can apply the home remedies with aloe vera for vitiligo:
2.Aloe Vera for White Patches on the Face
4.Premature Whitening or Greying of Hair
5.Light spots on the skin that is lighter than your normal skin tone
How to apply aloe vera for vitiligo externally?
As the vitiligo-affected skin is already very sensitive, it is important to follow a clinically safe and gentle application method.
1.Make sure your skin is completely clean.
2.Gently wet your skin with plain water over the area that has been vitiligo affected.
3.Apply the aloe vera gel mixture (with or without additional ingredients) evenly over the skin with a brush or your fingers.
4.Massage it tenderly with your fingertips so that the goodness of the aloe vera seeps into your skin cells.
5.Keep the product on your skin for 10-15 minutes. Then, let it rest on your skin.
6.After letting it absorb into your skin, rinse off the mix with plain water.
7.Take a clean towel and wipe dry gently, without being too rough on the skin.
8.For aftercare, you can take plain unflavoured aloe vera gel for vitiligo apply it on the skin, spreading it evenly across the area.
9.Since it is unflavoured and natural, it won’t stain your clothes. Hence, please leave it to get absorbed completely by your skin.
Yes, you too can say, ‘aloe vera cured my vitiligo’! Be brave and stand strong in this battle. With dermatological guidance and aloe vera, you are undefeatable! If vitiligo is the villain in your life, aloe vera is the superhero that comes to your rescue!